You may not expect Cordova’s biggest event of the year to be right in the middle of the winter, especially considering the winter we’ve been having! But it is quite the to-do in these parts. Ice Worm Festival was created to shake Cordovans out of their winter blues (and force them to dig out of their igloos). It’s named after a tiny creature called the Iceworm that not only lives, but thrives in the icy landscape of Cordova’s Childs, Miles, Sheridan, Scott, and Saddlebag glaciers. Iceworm Festival is about celebrating Cordovan fortitude and grit, but this year it was also about breaking free from our recent Snowpocalypse and thanking those that helped us dig out of it!
The event usually lasts Thursday-Sunday and the events include a wide variety of spectacles including:
- The ever-aniticpated Iceworm Tail Hunt (a scavenger hunt that lasts all week, with one clue per day)
- Historical displays at the Cordova Museum
- Photo Contest & Iceworm Photo Show
- Variety Show, complete with the crowning of Miss Iceworm & Citizen of the Year
- A host of indoor sports events like dodgeball, volleyball, foosball & ping-pong tournaments
- Chili cook-off and Homebrew contest
- Oyster Shuck & Suck Contest (see video below!)
- Spam Cook-off
- Cake baking Contest
- The Blessing of the Fleet
- Survival Suit Races (which were amazing!) Check out the videos of them below!
- Iceworm Parade complete with Cordova’s first Flashmob, this year (videos of that below, as well!)
- Birthday Party with kids games and free cake & ice cream for everyone in town
- All you can eat Ice Cream at the Pioneer Igloo
- Iceworm Fireworks SPECTACULAR! (it was actually pretty impressive!!)
- …followed by the “Lightworm” Torchlight Ski Parade down Mt. Eyak by the Sheridan Ski Club
And here are some videos of the Survival Suit Races:
Check it out: Cordova’s first Flashmob! If you missed the parade, check out the second video below.
It was a busy weekend of fun for everyone, whether you wanted to play, eat, explore, learn or just take it all in, Iceworm Festival is always a great time to be in Cordova! Here are some pictures I snapped at some of the events:
Do you have some great Iceworm 2012 photos to share? Post them on my facebook page at www.facebook.com/CordovaBuzz!